Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Other People's Thoughts on Cosplay (And Some of My Very Own)

I'm feeling laaaaaaaaazy this morning, so I'm just going to give you a lot of pictures.

We've all been reading lots about the Cosplay =/= Consent campaign, non?

OMG.  Dat Leeloo.

In case the rock you've been living under doesn't have wifi, the jist is:
As many of our readers may know, there has been escalating tension within the convention going community regarding the physical and emotional safety of cosplayers. Last week, cosplayer Meagan Marie spoke out against the people within the gaming industry who treat female cosplayers as pieces of meat, only there for the enjoyment of men. This, and the continued discussion within my circle of cosplay friends has pushed my plans forward, and I now present to you the beginnings of my photo essay, inspired by #IneedFeminismBecause; “CONsent: The Importance of Treating Cosplayers with Respect.
[via 16 Bit Sirens]

Now, don't get me wrong.  I love attention! Someone asking to take my picture?  So flattering!  Someone telling me I look good, pretty, even sexy??  Yes, please!  But vulgar words and gestures?  NOPE.  Surreptitiously taking upskirt shots?  You do realize that's harrassment, right?

Don't even get me started on touching.  What would your mother say?

[Karine Makes Comics and Stuff via Geeks Are Sexy]

No comments:

Post a Comment